The Camp Algona POW Museum
In June of 2004, the Camp Algona POW Committee signed a contract with the Iowa State Bank, purchasing the former Furniture Loft Building at 114 South Thorington St. in Algona. The facility is over 14,000 square feet of usable space, divided into four areas. Current plans call for use of the 4,000 square foot center space as the museum. The other portions of the building have renters under contract.On July 9, 2004, the doors of the museum opened for the first time unveiling our initial and permanent display. The opening was in conjunction with Algona's Sesquicentennial celebration.
Camp Algona POW Museum Committee Members
Richard Schiek - President
Jerry Yocum - Vice President
Don Hanson - Secretary\Treasurer
Marv Chickering - Brian Connick
Bob Cink - Kayla Jacobson
Tom Larson - Kristie Hough
Glenn Jones - Steve King
Vicki Mallory - Phil Reynolds
Dr. Jerry Shey - Greg Stewart
Camp Algona POW Museum Priorities
1. To preserve the existing information concerning the Prisoner of War camp that existed in Algona from 1943-1946.
2. To research missing data relative to the Camp and its personnel, prisoners, and area residents.
3. To secure safe storage for data and artifacts
4. To secure grants for expenses under a non-profit organizational structure
5. To display the contributions made by Kossuth County service personnel to World War II